How to Enhance Children’s Safety in the Home

Posted | 0 comments


Kids, especially the younger ones are bound to get into stuff that’s potentially harmful. It doesn’t take much for a small child to fall ill. This is because they have faster metabolisms when compared to adults, which means anything that they ingest gets absorbed into the bloodstream quite rapidly. Poisonous substances are all over a typical house, from antifreeze to fertilizers, medicine and makeup. However, there are several ways through which one can enhance children’s safety around the house.

Proper Storage

All poisonous items should be kept out of children’s reach. If cabinets are accessible to children, then safety locks should be installed. Food and potential poisons should also be kept in separate cabinets. Kids could mistake the identity of products that appear similar to them.

All medicines and other products that are potentially harmful should be stored in their original containers while keeping the original labels. Expired medications should also be properly discarded. Medicines and vitamins should never be referred to as candy. Small children should not think of such substances as treats. When administering medication to children, the proper dosage directions should be followed to the letter.

One should install a carbon monoxide detector in each bedroom around the house. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is produced by fuel-burning appliances and by cars in garages. It could make a child ill, even in minute concentrations that would hardly affect a grown person.

It’s also important to get the house tested for lead. This especially applies for older homes, where plumbing is likely to have been done using lead pipes. Lead is also present in paints. If a child inhales the dust produced by lead-based paints, it could build up to levels that could stunt their development, growth and intelligence.

Caution should also be taken when using cleaning products and other substances that are potentially harmful. One should never leave children alone with an open container of a substance that could cause harm when ingested. Such substances include detergents, liquid soaps and air fresheners. A small kid could be poisoned within several seconds if they ingest or come into contact with such substances.

Plants and Bugs

Lots of poison ivy plants.One also needs to learn about what plants are poisonous in their neighborhood. All houseplants should be kept out of reach. Children should also be instructed to avoid putting any part of an outdoor plant in their mouth in the absence of an adult.

It’s also important to take CPR and first aid classes. In less than 3 hours, one can learn proper and effective intervention techniques to give a fighting chance to a small child who’s come into contact with harmful substances. The toll-free poison helpline should also be put into the home phone and cellphones.

These safety precautions need to be discussed with other relatives and grandparents. The latter may have medications that could be harmful to kids. Their homes may also not be adequately childproofed. As such, one needs to have proper arrangements put in place whenever there are older relatives in the house or when they travel to their homes.